Relatively recent changes in surface and groundwater management, along with other hydrologic drivers, have caused high groundwater conditions in localized areas of the South Platte Basin.
Section 10 of the 2018 CWCB Projects Bill (SB18-218) provides $500,000 for several types of efforts related to high groundwater issues in the South Platte Basin. This includes grant funding for projects in response to damaging high groundwater levels in areas of the South Platte River Basin for the construction, maintenance, and monitoring of dewatering infrastructure.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can apply?
- Governmental entities – municipalities, districts, enterprises, counties, and State of Colorado agencies. Federal agencies are encouraged to work with local entities. Covered Entities as defined in Section 37-60-126, C.R.S., are eligible if the applicant has adopted an approved water conservation plan.
- Private entities - mutual ditch companies, consulting firms, non-profit corporations, individuals, sole proprietors, and partnerships.
- Non-governmental organizations
- How can the money be used?
Examples of eligible projects and activities:
● Emergency dewatering
● Groundwater management pilot programs
● Studies or analysis of regional groundwater (including modeling, monitoring wells, etc.)
● Design of structural projects or activities.
- How can I apply?
- Review the Criteria and Guidelines Document
- Download and complete the Following Application Materials:
- Contact Erik Skeie with any questions you have prior to submitting your application.
- Submit your application, including all attachments, via email as one file to: Erik Skeie
Applications may also be mailed to:
Colorado Water Conservation Board
Attn: Erik Skeie
1313 Sherman St., Rm. 718
Denver, CO 80203
- What is the approval process after I have submitted an application?
- CWCB staff will determine if the required documentation has been submitted. The application will be accepted once all documentation has been received.
- CWCB staff will evaluate the application based on the criteria described in this document.
- Applications will be provided to the South Platte Basin Roundtable Groundwater Technical Committee for review. The Committee may request that the applicant present their proposal at the next scheduled Committee meeting.
- CWCB staff will notify the applicant of the staff’s recommendation. CWCB staff may approve projects less than $100,000 and reserves the right to present the application to the Board if deemed necessary. Projects requesting $100,000 or more will be notified of the date and time
- when the Board will consider the application. While CWCB staff has primary responsibility for presenting the recommendation to the Board, the applicant will need to attend the meeting to address the Board and may offer comments during the opportunity for public comment.
- Upon Board approval of the applicant’s request, funding will be available after a contract is executed.